Sparring Gear??

This Forum is for Striking Training Discussions and Striking Training Videos!

Sparring Gear??

Postby Reg718718 » Dec 26. 2009, 22:27

Hey guys, first let me say Hello to all as this is my first post. Ive been reading and viewing for a few weeks and finally decided to make my first post in the form of a question. 1st off let me say I train 4 days a week. 1 day is seido karate (i train privately with my father he is 5th degree black belt in seido) have been doing that for 2 years. I train MMA 2 days a week and Bjj 1 day a week at amerikick in brooklyn. I was skeptical at first cause its mainly a karate school. But I must say I am very impressed, for bjj they bring in a brown belt who trains in the city under henzo gracie. Anyways let me get to question. I have been doing the bjj and mma for 7mths. About a month ago on the mma nights they started staying after class to try and get some sparring sessions going for an extra 30-45 mins. I asked for and recieved sparring gear from my father for christmas. Its proforce thunder gear. He uses proforce for all his sparring and it is the gear most used in his school. I know its good for karate but anyone have any feedback on the mma stuff? I got mma shins and helmet the gloves are just standard 12 oz. Thanks for any feedback guys. Sparring will be 50-70% for 30-45 mins 2 times a week. if that helps.

Reg718718
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby timebomb » Dec 28. 2009, 16:54

12oz way too light for sparring 16oz min :wink:

Kongo will nut kick his way to becoming the heavy weight champion in 09.
timebomb
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby The Black Dragon » Dec 28. 2009, 16:56

timebomb wrote:12oz way too light for sparring 16oz min :wink:

Nah, you can spar with 12's, although it's generally recommended to use 14's or 16's. Just be careful. The smaller the glove, the easier it is to cut.
The Black Dragon
Das Ubermod
Das Ubermod

Postby Carabao » Dec 28. 2009, 17:33

12oz isnt enough padding for sparring.

If youre heavier, 16oz min

Quite surprised your teacher/kru/sensei lets you spar with those gloves at 50% power or more (excluding tkd of course).
Carabao
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby PooSmear » Dec 28. 2009, 18:01

You guys are pussies :P I spar in mma gloves... Did get a little cut under my eye 2 weeks ago from a thumb to the eye tho but it was no big deal...
PooSmear
Turd Ferguson
Turd Ferguson

Postby Search-Destroy » Dec 28. 2009, 18:20

If he has head gear I don't see why 12 oz gloves should be a problem.

Search-Destroy
The Butcher
The Butcher

Postby timebomb » Dec 29. 2009, 08:49

Search-Destroy wrote:If he has head gear I don't see why 12 oz gloves should be a problem.

#i cut with head gear and 16ozers so...
timebomb
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby PooSmear » Dec 29. 2009, 14:56

timebomb wrote:
Search-Destroy wrote:If he has head gear I don't see why 12 oz gloves should be a problem.

Head gear is f*cking stupid... I stopped going to boxing classes cause they made me wear it and then just punched me in the nose and chin so whats the f*cking point!?!?!? Not like it hurts to get hit on the forehead or the brow really... but like I said I spar with mma gloves and a mouth piece and a cup and thats it...
PooSmear
Turd Ferguson
Turd Ferguson

Postby timebomb » Dec 29. 2009, 18:01

PooSmear wrote:
timebomb wrote:

Head gear is f*cking stupid... I stopped going to boxing classes cause they made me wear it and then just punched me in the nose and chin so whats the f*cking point!?!?!? Not like it hurts to get hit on the forehead or the brow really... but like I said I spar with mma gloves and a mouth piece and a cup and thats it...

cuts!!!!!!!!!!!!
timebomb
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby PooSmear » Dec 29. 2009, 18:13

timebomb wrote:
PooSmear wrote:
timebomb wrote:

cuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said I barely got a cut in my eye when I got punched and all that hit me was a thumb under my eye... Dont be a puss, if you get cut then put a band aid over it or get some butterfly tape. Your gonna be all confused if you spar with boxing gloves and step into the cage with a pair of mma gloves...

PooSmear
Turd Ferguson
Turd Ferguson

Postby timebomb » Dec 31. 2009, 17:10

PooSmear wrote:
timebomb wrote:
PooSmear wrote:
timebomb wrote:

cuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said I barely got a cut in my eye when I got punched and all that hit me was a thumb under my eye... Dont be a puss, if you get cut then put a band aid over it or get some butterfly tape. Your gonna be all confused if you spar with boxing gloves and step into the cage with a pair of mma gloves...

i do amateur boxing.
timebomb
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby PooSmear » Jan 1. 2010, 17:24

timebomb wrote:
PooSmear wrote:
timebomb wrote:
PooSmear wrote:
timebomb wrote:

cuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

i do amateur boxing.

AHh well you do have to wear gay headgear in amateur boxing...
PooSmear
Turd Ferguson
Turd Ferguson

Return to Striking Training Discussion