Latest MMA Fights & News

Cain Velasquez vs Jon Jones

Back to the roots! Share YOUR MMA Thoughts! The Subforums are for Copy/Paste MMA NEWS and funny MMA stuff!

Who would take the win?

Jones
34%
Velasquez
66%

Total votes : 29

Cain Velasquez vs Jon Jones

Postby JJDG » Nov 23. 2012, 00:19

Cain could easily make 205 and he has faced opponents with a reach/size advantage without it seeming to intimidate him in the slightest, I think he could close the distance and be a real test for Jones.

Bisping fan since TUF 3

AV BETS 11-4

Glover > Jones - 2 week av bet with moose84

UFC on FOX 6 Invitational Winner.
JJDG
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Re: Cain Velasquez vs Jon Jones

Postby pmk666 » Nov 23. 2012, 00:22

Would be an epic fight but most likely JBJ by TKO. But who knows.........

pmk666
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby mmayhem » Nov 23. 2012, 03:36

JJDG wrote:Cain could easily make 205 if he cut off a leg

fixed

246 pounds, only about 15 percent body fat.

Lets set up a more realistic scenario
>Near end of 2013
>Jon Jones moves up to heavyweight
>Cain is a contender but already lost two title fights so he wont be fighting for it anytime soon
>Jon Jones still undefeated
>First fight at heavyweight vs Cain
>Fails to finish him, gets ragdolled and punished with knees and punches for three rounds.

/thread

EDIT: Accidentally voted for Jones along with the other person who voted for him :D
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner
mmayhem
CRI CHAMP 2
CRI CHAMP 2

Postby JJDG » Nov 24. 2012, 00:52

Ok, he could definatly make 220 catch weight. Was just a suggestion, no need to get high and mighty sweetheart
Bisping fan since TUF 3

AV BETS 11-4

JJDG
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby mmayhem » Nov 24. 2012, 01:07

JJDG wrote:Ok, he could definatly make 220 catch weight. Was just a suggestion, no need to get high and mighty sweetheart

just stating facts, nothing high and mighty there.
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner
mmayhem
CRI CHAMP 2
CRI CHAMP 2

Postby JJDG » Nov 24. 2012, 01:12

MMAYHEM wrote:
JJDG wrote:Ok, he could definatly make 220 catch weight. Was just a suggestion, no need to get high and mighty sweetheart

At 220?

Bisping fan since TUF 3

AV BETS 11-4

JJDG
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby mmayhem » Nov 24. 2012, 01:27

JJDG wrote:
MMAYHEM wrote:

At 220?

220 seems right. but i dont think jones would ask for a catchweight
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner
mmayhem
CRI CHAMP 2
CRI CHAMP 2

Postby Vilace » Nov 25. 2012, 06:10

Right now, Jones won't beat cain or cormier at heavyweight. But I don't think he should be fighting them until he goes to heavyweight. Jones is a laughingstock right now, I'll just consider this his year off till he continues on to where he should be, or fights henderson atleast.

Anyway at theoretical lhw I give advantage to Cain, but it's a harder fight given cains lack of needed bulk and strength. Still think he spends a good deal of time on top, but Jones is harder to hold down by the smaller man, and more scrambles come into play. Jones can't get much off on the feet because Cain is in and out, and too threatening with the take down. Cain would get the decision more likely, or Jones might keep him off just enough but unlikely.
Vilace
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby jontsu » Nov 25. 2012, 11:50

This would be at HW.

Jones would win imo. Cain has a good wrestling and nice striking, but Jones can keep him at distance and do his thing. I also believe Jones has the better wrestling. He's good at using his length as a leverage.
Favorite fighters: 1. Diaz bros 2. Übereem 3. Mousasi 4. Rory 5. Others
jontsu
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby NickDiaz209 » Nov 29. 2012, 00:06

cain by honey badger

WAR MMA
NickDiaz209
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby mmayhem » Nov 29. 2012, 02:21

jontsu wrote:This would be at HW.

Jones would win imo. Cain has a good wrestling and nice striking, but Jones can keep him at distance and do his thing. I also believe Jones has the better wrestling. He's good at using his length as a leverage.

Jone's striking relies on his range but also on his ability to use his wrestling once guys get too close. I disagree, he does not have better wrestling than Cain. And he will not take him down - Jones had a hard time taking Rampage down. He's not as good a wrestler as people think. He's just extremely athletic. I think if Rashad tried to take him down more in their fight he would have had good results. Either way Cain is bigger and stronger and I think has better wrestling. Jones is tall, he stands no chance of stopping a Velasquez power double. Dude will get out powered and he'll finally be on the other end of some ground and pound.

His only chance in this fight is to exploit Cain's suspect chin.
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner
mmayhem
CRI CHAMP 2
CRI CHAMP 2

Postby jontsu » Nov 29. 2012, 13:05

MMAYHEM wrote:

Jone's striking relies on his range but also on his ability to use his wrestling once guys get too close. I disagree, he does not have better wrestling than Cain. And he will not take him down - Jones had a hard time taking Rampage down. He's not as good a wrestler as people think. He's just extremely athletic. I think if Rashad tried to take him down more in their fight he would have had good results. Either way Cain is bigger and stronger and I think has better wrestling. Jones is tall, he stands no chance of stopping a Velasquez power double. Dude will get out powered and he'll finally be on the other end of some ground and pound.

Imo he can just keep jabbing, knee kicking and keep his arms straight to keep Cain away and pick him off, just like agaisnt rampage and evans... and everyone else.
I dont see Cain having much of a size advanage either. Just weight.
Not going to argue about this, since neither of us have any base, other than our thought how it would go :) thanks for the reply though
Favorite fighters: 1. Diaz bros 2. Übereem 3. Mousasi 4. Rory 5. Others
jontsu
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby mmayhem » Nov 29. 2012, 15:49

jontsu wrote:
MMAYHEM wrote:

Imo he can just keep jabbing, knee kicking and keep his arms straight to keep Cain away and pick him off, just like agaisnt rampage and evans... and everyone else.
I dont see Cain having much of a size advanage either. Just weight.
Not going to argue about this, since neither of us have any base, other than our thought how it would go :) thanks for the reply though

weight = size lol

i hope jabs and knee kicks stop him from getting taken down
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner
mmayhem
CRI CHAMP 2
CRI CHAMP 2

Postby Vilace » Nov 29. 2012, 19:02

Just a few fights at heavyweight and Jones could probably be on even ground with cain and have a good chance of beating him. Cormier however is Jones worst matchup period, and this is why I think Cain is probably the second worst, I think Jones is technically better against JDS than those.

Vilace
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Next

Return to SERIOUS MMA DISCUSSION 2.0