Latest MMA Fights & News

TUF's Manawaroa won't get UFC contract due to racist post

Share mma news from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ...

Re: TUF's Manawaroa won't get UFC contract due to racist post

Postby Arevir » Feb 11. 2014, 21:56

JM Barrie wrote:haha put your photo up

I could say the same to you.

2X CRI Champion...soon to be 3X
1-1 in AV bets
Karastrike - " (Jon) Jones would even beat Ali and Tyson in a boxing match."
Arevir
CRI CHAMP 2
CRI CHAMP 2

Postby Floyduss » Feb 11. 2014, 22:05

kraig7777 wrote:
Feed Him Mungo wrote:
mmayhem wrote:The UFC doesn't punish people with any type of consistency. However, if you're some nobody and you say some racist shit dont expect to be treated the same way as the LHW champ. It's just not gonna happen. I don't think the UFC is unfair with their punishment, it's not that hard just try not to be a total f*cking jackass (sucker punch, walk into a gym with a gun, be racist as f*ck)

holy contradiction batman :shock: :lol: :lol:

even better that you have a white fist pummeling a black mans face in your AV :lol:

Uh, those aren't contradicting statements. And if the AV is the thing, look at yours lol.

Inconsistent punishment is not fair. That's why it's a contradiction.

'I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.' - Mike Tyson
Floyduss
CRI President
CRI President

Postby JM Barrie » Feb 11. 2014, 22:16

Best option

Win the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7_iLMq8REo
Maybe this world is another planet's Hell. - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)
Love the foe list
JM Barrie
mmashare
mmashare

Postby mmayhem » Feb 11. 2014, 22:34

Feed Him Mungo wrote:

Inconsistent punishment is not fair. That's why it's a contradiction.

They dont have a consistent form of punishing people in that they treat different cases in different ways and there is no standard policy. That being said I believe they handle most cases with fairness, once you look at the context of the situation. Especifically this one.

And yea I'm racist because of my AV, fashow. UFC should fire me. :wax

Australians defending an Australian fighter? Gee I wonder how this works.
Last edited by mmayhem on Feb 11. 2014, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner
UFC on FOX 6 Invitational Winner.
mmayhem
CRI CHAMP 2
CRI CHAMP 2

Postby JM Barrie » Feb 11. 2014, 22:34

Kajan Johnson responds to Tyler Manowaroa's release from UFC

I feel in my heart that it is important to shed some light on this week’ earlier events, regarding Tyler Manawaroa’s “racist instagram photo.”

The picture was brought to my attention, via twitter by a close friend of mine. Upon seeing this picture, which is simply racist and ignorant at best, I was immediately filled with disgust and upset. Clearly, it hit a nerve very close to home and was very upsetting for me to see. Letting my feelings of upset and outrage get the best of me in that particular moment, I immediately took to twitter, calling Tyler out and referring to him as a racist.

For all the Tyler fans that happen to be upset with me for publicly bringing light to this photo, it’s important for you all to know, that this is a serious matter to me. Growing up, I was the only "black" kid in an all white and first nations community. And as such, I was constantly picked on, left out and discriminated against, simply, because of the color of my skin. As many of my loyal fans know I am an advocate for anti racism and campaigning for the war on racism against all people, especially first nations people and the injustice that is being served to them; all of which includes the struggles that members of my family must endure on a daily basis. This is something I value and hold dear to my heart. So, as you can imagine, when I saw the post, my immediate and initial reaction was to call him out. However, it wasn’t until later, that it was brought to my attention that the post was made well over a year ago, when Tyler still happened to be in high school. Being young isn’t an excuse for this type of ignorance, but now that my mind and heart are no longer clouded by the negative emotions this picture evoked in me, I can honestly agree with the fact that, he was only 17. We all have made mistakes and done things that we may or may not have regretted at that age. I understand now, that the post wasn’t intended to hurt people. However, unfortunately, remarks such as these can and will hurt people, regardless of the intent. It’s important when working in a non-conformist industry, especially a career in the public eye, that we are cautious as to what we share via social media. Negative things, will eventually come to light through one way or another.

It is my hope, that we all can take away a lesson from this unfortunate event and truly think about how these jokes and comments can affect and hurt other people. Posting something on sensitive topics such as this will inevitably, always be controversial and raise eyebrows. There has been way too much suffering amongst many races in this world over the course of time. We are all aware of the fact, that it is a serious matter and it does affect people in a very negative way; to joke about it, regardless of intent, will not sit well with many people.

All in all, I would like to apologize to Tyler for how I handled this particular situation. As upsetting as it was at the time, I realize there are some things I should have done differently. I never anticipated that his contract would be revoked nor was that my wish for him. Through all of this, I have learned that the next time I am upset, I will take the time to clear the ill feelings before acting on them. As I mentioned earlier, any negative, controversial subject we post via social media, whether it is in the past or present, may come with a consequence. I cannot turn back the hands of time, nor can he. But we can all move forward taking away the lessons learned. Tyler is young and has plenty of time to turn things around with his career. A part of living is learning by making mistakes and growing. That is something we all will and have done along our journey in life. I wish Tyler, nothing but the best in his future.

http://raginmma.com/news/?article=1402120000-kajan-johnson-responds-to-tyler-manowaroa-s-release-from-ufc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7_iLMq8REo
Maybe this world is another planet's Hell. - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)
Love the foe list
JM Barrie
mmashare
mmashare

Postby mmayhem » Feb 11. 2014, 22:39

Manawaroa said “racism isn’t funny” and that his Instagram post “was a joke.”

There's your problem right there. :lol: I have nothing against a joke when you at least try to be funny. But this is such a lazy attempt that I don't even think Patrice O'neal could justify its political incorrectness.

CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner
mmayhem
CRI CHAMP 2
CRI CHAMP 2

Postby Floyduss » Feb 11. 2014, 22:45

mmayhem wrote:Australians defending an Australian fighter? Gee I wonder how this works.

How does this work? He could be an Antartican for all I care, the fact that he's being unfairly treated remains.
'I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.' - Mike Tyson
Floyduss
CRI President
CRI President

Postby mmayhem » Feb 11. 2014, 23:19

So I did some searching and the UFC does have a code of conduct that fighters are supposed to guide themselves by. The ultimate decision of how they punish you is up to them in the end.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/135070894/Ufc-Fighter-Code-of-Conduct

"Derogatory or offensive conduct, including without limitation insulting language, symbols or actions about a person's ethnic background, heritage, color, race..."

"Inappropriate physical, verbal, and online behavior (such as inappropriate statements made via e-mail, text messaging or social network)"

"Discipline may take the form of fines, suspension and cessation of service...Determination of the appropriate discipline for an incident will be based on the nature of the misconduct and other relevant factors"

The bottom line is if you know the UFC has these guidelines in place and you go ahead and violate them, then you're subject to whatever they want to do with you. It's irresponsible and stupid...this case in particular :lol:
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner
mmayhem
CRI CHAMP 2
CRI CHAMP 2

Postby tre loucks » Feb 11. 2014, 23:23

mmayhem wrote:So I did some searching and the UFC does have a code of conduct that fighters are supposed to guide themselves by. The ultimate decision of who they punish you is up to them in the end but they take SOME sort of action if you do any of the things on their list.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/135070894/Ufc-Fighter-Code-of-Conduct

"Derogatory or offensive conduct, including without limitation insulting language, symbols or actions about a person's ethnic background, heritage, color, race..."

"Inappropriate physical, verbal, and online behavior (such as inappropriate statements made via e-mail, text messaging or social network)"

"Discipline may take the form of fines, suspension and cessation of service...Determination of the appropriate discipline for an incident will be based on the nature of the misconduct and other relevant factors"

The bottom line is if you know the UFC has these guidelines in place and you go ahead and violate them, then you're subject to whatever they want to do with you. It's irresponsible and stupid...this case in particular :lol:

how does this rule apply to a 17 yr old kid who at the time was no way affiliated with the ufc?
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
av bets 5-5
av betting retired by mdf...
tre loucks
The Master Debater
The Master Debater

Postby Saltydog » Feb 11. 2014, 23:27

baronvonkaos wrote:Wow i only posted my last post from reading page one... After reading the rest of this thread it suddenly occurs to me that most of you idiots in here are racist. How can you call a blackman racist?

How can you say that all black men in jail are criminals and guilty? Anyone remember who Rubin Carter was?

Get your head out of the sand.

No offense, but Rubin Carter is a horrid example. The Denzel movie about him was completely inaccurate. Do your research, and you'll find that not only was Rubin Carter NOT going to be the next great boxer, he was also very likely guilty of his charges. Films typically distort the reality for sensational effect. Rubin Carter was a racist and a washed-up boxer, and a drug addict and previously convicted felon...not a great guy, or amazing boxer, who was screwed over by "the man," just before he became great. Facts are greater than fiction.

***I LOVE the song, The Hurricane, by Bob Dylan. It's about Rubin Carter, and is why I research Carter's legal case. I was a bit shocked, and a bit disappointed, at how inaccurate Dylan's song and Denzel's movie are.

Last edited by Saltydog on Feb 11. 2014, 23:56, edited 3 times in total.
Saltydog
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby tre loucks » Feb 11. 2014, 23:28

I agree with Floyd this is horse shit. and im not Australian, im American. so how does this work? :D
av bets 5-5
tre loucks
The Master Debater
The Master Debater

Postby mmayhem » Feb 11. 2014, 23:28

Yea I don't understand that part of it either, but apparently they take your past actions into account. I guess the line of reasoning is that a person who represents the UFC will represent them with present and past actions as well.

I guess it's like when they dig up dirt on a politicians past and they're forced to drop out. But I admit that banning this kid from the UFC before his career even gets a chance to start because of something he did when he was younger is a bit cruel.

But racism just doesnt fly in today's popular culture, this might be the best PR move for them.
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner
mmayhem
CRI CHAMP 2
CRI CHAMP 2

Postby tre loucks » Feb 11. 2014, 23:38

in unrelated news. jon jones was spotted today in northern California frantically searching through alex Gustafson twitter feed. :lol:
av bets 5-5
tre loucks
The Master Debater
The Master Debater

Postby Crackpot josh » Feb 11. 2014, 23:41

He should've had the common sense to delete the post as soon as the ufc contacted him to do tuf. If he forgot about it(which may be very likely since it was years ago), then he's shit out of luck. I don't think he should be fired but that's not my call to make.

Crackpot josh
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

PreviousNext

Return to MMA NEWS