Latest MMA Fights & News

Rousimar Palhares Suspended 90 Days for UFC 111 Submission o

Share mma news from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, ...

Rousimar Palhares Suspended 90 Days for UFC 111 Submission o

Postby punchface35 » Mar 28. 2010, 10:22

Posted by Kris Karkoski on Mar 28, 2010 at 11:31 am ET7 Comments.UFC middleweight Rousimar Palhares has been suspended for 90 days by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board for failing to immediately release a first-round kneebar of Tomasz Drwal on the preliminary card of Saturday’s UFC 111.

Drwal attempted a kick early in the opening round of the matchup but slipped on a logo, allowing Palhares to secure the kneebar, which he was quickly forced to tap to only to have Palhares continue the hold until the referee separated the fighters.

“I didn’t feel that he was tapping. I felt like he was pushing my leg and I held on until the referee stopped the fight because I didn’t want to misunderstand,” Palhares said in a post-fight interview with UFC.com. “I didn’t want to hurt him. I was excited for the fight. I’m really sorry if I hurt him.”

While Drwal was suspected to have suffered a torn knee, an evaluation at the hospital revealed no serious injuries.

Think that can stop guys from causing serious injuries.

punchface35
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Re: Rousimar Palhares Suspended 90 Days for UFC 111 Submission o

Postby Nycto Von Dickto » Mar 28. 2010, 10:23

Oh no, not 90 days!

Nycto Von Dickto
The Raw Gawwwdd
The Raw Gawwwdd

Postby MANTIS TOBOGGAN » Mar 28. 2010, 10:25

haha 90 days...doesnt really matter since he wouldnt be fighting within that time frame anyway
MANTIS TOBOGGAN

Postby Lassedh » Mar 28. 2010, 10:27

Ye that's supposed to be a punishment? Take his purse and then he won't do it again
Lassedh
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby JKillah » Mar 28. 2010, 10:30

It's the ref's job to stop fights. Keep going unless you are absolutely positive or that you can clearly see the ref is calling for the end.
JKillah
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby punchface35 » Mar 28. 2010, 10:31

thats true. They should take the guys purse. You can end a guys career doin that shit.

punchface35
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby 00Buckshot » Mar 28. 2010, 10:35

When I saw that happen last night it looked like Palhares got some sick pleasure from hurting the guy.
00Buckshot
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby willyg44 » Mar 28. 2010, 10:38

In his defense, he did have his eyes closed and was "in the zone" if you will. So, unless the ref pushed him off like he should have I don't think he's totally at fault. Still was messed up to see.
willyg44
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby paulsac » Mar 28. 2010, 10:39

that's bs
i've seen guys tap and then get let go and the ref never stopped, palhares got suspended for doing what he's supposed to do
Dan Henderson will always be my favorite fighter for everthing he has accomplished and the little credit he gets. Here is a man who's career is the definition of p4p and everybody acts like he's never beaten anyone.
paulsac
forum florian
forum florian

Location: making my penis do windmills in the middle of a hurricane...

Postby mejo_09 » Mar 28. 2010, 10:56

JKillah wrote:It's the ref's job to stop fights. Keep going unless you are absolutely positive or that you can clearly see the ref is calling for the end.

I concur.. I havnt seen the fight, so ill have to reserve judgement until i have, so if he said he didnt feel him tap, or he wasnt "sure", then he shouldve held on...

mejo_09
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Nycto Von Dickto » Mar 28. 2010, 10:57

it was basically the same thing as Mir vs Lesnar 1, where Lesnar was tapping for a while before the ref stepped in. Only difference is, that was a knee bar, and this was a heel hook. A heel hook is the most dangerous submission to be in, in terms of your body getting wrecked.
Nycto Von Dickto
The Raw Gawwwdd
The Raw Gawwwdd

Postby Sasori » Mar 28. 2010, 11:03

90 days? Waht ever will he do? I know, go to brazil and train there since hes only suspended in the US. Good god, I say deduct pay
Trolling is just convincing people to think less of you, nothing more nothing less.
Sasori
MMASHARE HOF
MMASHARE HOF

Rousimar Palhares Disciplined For Submission

Postby xxxx » Mar 28. 2010, 13:29

The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board has suspended UFC middleweight “Toquinho” Rousimar Palhares (11-2) of Brazil following his first-round heel hook submission of “Gorilla” Tomas Drwal (17-3-1) at UFC 111 in Newark last night.

But, as Drwal tapped feverishly and Palhares cranked the technique, Palhares only awaited referee Kevin Mulhall’s official stoppage of the fight before releasing the heel hook.

Drwal had slipped on the mat mid-kick before Palhares pounced and applied the submission lock to Drwal’s left leg just seconds into round one.

Drwal was also suspended pending X-rays of his knee and ankle.

Fighters.com disagrees with the NJSACB’s disciplinary suspension. Having watched thousands of fights, I know it’s not uncommon for a fighter to release a submission or prematurely end a punching barrage before the referee ends the fight. Often this gives the opponent on the receiving end a second wind. That’s why fighters are trained to fight until the referee stops you.

Drwal was obviously and vigorously submitting to Palhares, even screeching in pain. Palhares knew Drwal was tapping. But, Palhares correctly awaited Mulhall’s official stoppage before releasing the hold.

The image of Drwal’s knee twisting gruesomely as he pleaded with Palhares to release the lock is unfortunate for mixed martial arts as the sport legitimizes itself. But, if anyone is to blame for that image lasting too long, it’s referee Kevin Mulhall. The five or six seconds Palhares held the heel hook as Drwal tapped was the same five or six seconds Mulhall watched Drwal tap before stopping the fight. Palhares’s job in the Octagon is to fight. Mulhall’s job is to stop fights. So, if any disciplinary action is deserved on this occasion, it should be due to Mulhall’s late stoppage.

Source: Fighters.com
xxxx

Re: Rousimar Palhares Disciplined For Submission

Postby jizzothekid » Mar 28. 2010, 13:32

i agree with this article, its the ref who should be disciplined, not the fighter. felt bad for gorilla and this fight left a bad taste in my mouth.

I am Error.
jizzothekid
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Next

Return to MMA NEWS